Semester : Semester 2 2010/2011
Lecturer : Alias Bin Mohd
The course will develop the students knowledge on data communication and switching systems. It explains the basic process of data communication, protocols, interfacing and inter-working between computer networks and switching components in telecommunication systems. The students will be taught with the various possible techniques to understand the modern networks for wired and wireless services.
Course Outcomes :
By the end of the course, the student should be able to understand on:
1. the basic of voice and data communication
2. the various types of computer networks for LAN and WAN
3. the concept of data communication using layered approach based OSI
4. the protocol and procedures of data communication
5. the standard of internetworking various networks in the Internet
This work, SET4573 Data Communication & Switching Systems by Alias Bin Mohd is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Data Communication Basic :
(a) Basics of data transmission.
(b) Asynchronous vs. Synchronous transmission.
(c) Error detection method : Parity and CRC.
(d) Error correction.
(e) Flow control technique : Stop-and-Wait, Sliding Window, Go-back-N and ARQ.
(a) Principles of internetworking.
(b) Issue and challenges in internetworking.
(c) Internetworking architecture.
(d) Internetworking devices: Bridge, Router and Gateway.